Your Online Self vs. Your Actual Self

An interesting topic came up in my communication class last week about social media networks, and I couldn't quite come up with a definite answer:

How do you self represent online? Are there differences between your "online self" and "actual self?"

Mind blown.


It's such a simple question when you first look at it, and I thought immediately that of course my "online self" was different than my "actual self." Online, you only see the same non-emotional status updates that I think are few and far between, occasionally some pictures of my cats or a community event...and oh, running and grad school. You will see some of those on there as well.

What you do not see is what goes on behind the scenes. You will not know how I'm feeling that day, if I'm sad or upset, and you won't know what's really bothering me. You won't know if I've had a stressful day and went to sleep crying. You won't know what's really going through my mind.

Here's the crazy part though: isn't that the same way I am with my actual self?

I am by nature an introverted person. Unless you are very close to me, you won't know what kind of day I'm having anyway. You know just as much as what my online self would allow you to know: that I attend graduate school, I run a lovely little blog titled Creating Confidence, and that I'm attempting to be a runner. That's about it. So isn't this the same? I feel that my online self is the same reflection of my actual self.

Let's take a step back for a second.

We all know those people who post their entire daily lives on social media, in fact, you may be one yourself. Have you ever had a "friend" who is constantly on social media sites, posting non-stop, then when you see them in person they don't say much at all? More than likely they are probably too busy responding to Facebook message and Twitter updates. I feel that while social media networking sites have made it easier in a sense to be"connected" to people you haven't seen in years and might not even recognize in person, but it has left a void where face-to-face communication should be. It's made it easier to get the news and to feel closer to different organizations and brands. Heck, if you are displeased with a product or company, simply write something negative on their social media sites and look how fast you will get a response...But what are missing out on here?

There's a quote I heard about a year ago that has stuck with me when it comes to social media networking sites and what people promote about themselves. 

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes to everyone else's highlight reel.
It's certainly easy to do, especially since you're only seeing a version of what people only want you to see online. You won't see me posting about a bad day I've had or any of my own personal fears- that doesn't mean I don't struggle with them daily. You only see what people allow you to see online. Online, you can construct a different identity if you'd like to, and face-to-face communication is slowly getting away from us.

How many times have you been to a restaurant and watched people glued to their phones and not talking to one another? How many times have you communicated with someone online, to barely speak a few words to them in person? How many bits of personal information do you know about someone you haven't seen in years? It's crazy.

What are your thoughts? What do you choose to share with people online, and do you feel that your "online self" differs from your "actual self?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips