Magazine Covers and Body Image: Not Buying it!


Taking a stroll down any supermarket or convenience store magazine isle is enough to make me, at 26 years old, gag. Countless images of beautiful women in bikinis, talking about how they dropped 15 lbs instantly, to the body and cellulite shaming images marked “you’ll never guess who!” Even if I let myself walk down those isles, I admit if I'm not in the best frame of mind they can get me down.

Even fitness magazines bare perfectly sculpted bodies, who no doubt have some sort of Photoshop action going on.  While I no longer have the same body I did back in my competition days, these magazines even hammer into my head what women AND men (I won’t leave the guys out here) should look like. And of course, they’ll give you the best 15 minute work out tips and the best way to shape up your rump as well…Because we all know, that can use some work.

While I agree health and fitness are important and are essential to leading a healthy lifestyle, not every woman has to be 5’2 105 lbs to be the epitome of health.

We are sending the wrong message to our girls and women here on what healthy, normal bodies look like.

I have recently been inspired by several stories of strong, powerful women in the media.

Brooke Birmingham, lifestyle and fitness blogger of BrookeNot A Diet, lost 172 lbs and channeled her weight loss journey for all to read. Recently, she was contacted by Shape Magazine who wanted to write a story on her weightloss success.   

Brooke happily complied and sent along this picture to show what I real woman’s body looks like after losing 172 lbs, and not being retouched.

Photo from www.brookenotonadiet.com

Shape Magazine wrote her back saying they were unable to use the bikini top photo and wanted one with a shirt. Brooke questioned this, and then later declined having her story written if Shape would not print the photo.

All I have to say- kudos to Brooke for standing up for something she believed in! Shape Magazine is HUGE, and to turn down her chance to have the story run for something she believes is amazing.


After all of the media attention, countless comments, calls from Good Morning America, The Today Show, and more, Shape Magazine made arrangements with Brooke to be featured in an issue with 5 other “real” women who have gone through extreme weight loss.

They will be able to be photographed in whatever outfits, or bikinis, they choose.

I say that's quite an amazing turn out for Brooke, and for women everywhere.


What are your thoughts on Brooke's story?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips