Tutus and Sneakers- 2014 Girls on the Run Race Charlotte

Today I witnessed an amazing event that inspired me more than anything. Girls on the Run Charlotte held their Spring 2014 5k this morning. With over 3,000 girls, coaches, parents and supporters the area was covered in a sea of green Girls on the Run t-shirts, tutus, and other bright colors- and I of course jumped at the opportunity to volunteer and help this great organization. 


 I volunteered at the Mile 1 Water Station.

As someone who is just getting into running myself, it was amazing to see these young girls out running, for many of them, their first 5k. The support and camaraderie was endearing to see, as each of the girls ran by cheering on their teammates.

The Mile 1 Water Station was located right as the runners were coming off a large hill. We thought we were well-prepared with over three tables stacked three times high with water - but there were so many participants we couldn't have the water ready fast enough! 





After all the chaos was over and the last participants passed by our station, I was in awe. Most of these girls were under 10 years old and here they are running in a 3.1 mile race. I never ran my first 5k until I was 18 years old, and still today, running that distance can be a feat.



As we cleaned up our station and started walking back towards the main area, I captured this amazing shot of the girls running the final mile of the race. I wanted to run with them.

When everything was said and done, I went home and put on my running shoes and vowed that if these girls could do it this morning- so could I. I ran over a 10k- 6.5 miles, and for me, thats quite a distance.

I have to say it was the girls who gave me the motivation.

Girls on the Run is an excellent organization. In my opinion in not only encourages girls to lead happier, healthier more confident lives, it also encourages grown women. I know for me, at 26 years old, it has.

For more information on Girls on the Run and how you can help, visit their website by clicking here. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips