The Media Through the Eyes of a Young Girl

Let's take a look outside the box for a minute. Look through the eyes of a young girl. What does she see?

Maybe this video will help you. Is it the thousands of advertisements she sees on TV, showing scantily clad women? Is it the diet pills and diet fads she sees people taking and reading about? What about the advertisements for make-up and beauty products that always need to "brighten, tighten and tone?"

She sees all of it. But how does she make sense of it?

 As a society in our adult lives we have become desensitized to all of the marketing ploys and advertisements for women to constantly improve their looks. I'll admit it, until recently I didn't pay close attention to the message media is always sending out to women. In a sense, I am a victim myself.

In order to be happy, you must be thinner, taller, smaller, wear make up, wear sexy clothes, take diet pills...and so on, and so on, and so on...

My classmate, Michelle Manning, recently created this remix video on body image for our video editing class. I was so moved when I saw it, I was almost in tears. 
Take a look at the video, and see the media through the eyes of a young girl.

Beauty Mash-up from michelle manning on Vimeo.

Michelle is currently writing a blog on Ways to Prevent Child Abuse. To read more, click here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips